Sunday 31 January 2010

Hats off to ... me!

Last post I ended saying that I was going to carry on knitting a hat that I had started.
Well, I had a very domestic day last Saturday, and actually ended up finishing it!

I had some major knitting difficulties before Christmas, (which usually ended up with me wanting to put the needles in my eyes out of frustration), so it was really really satisfying to start and finnish a project and have it turn out the way it's meant to. Mine is a little bit short (was worried about running out of wool) so the next versions will be longer. However I was able to do the ribbing and reducing correctly on my own, and only had to call on Youtube to learn how to cast off.

It's been good for me as a teacher to be back in the 'learners seat' with this knitting and Spanish stuff. Learning these new things has really made me think about the instructions I give my kids and the way new information is presented. Hopefully it's translated into some more engaging and interesting lessons for my Year 4's.

January is over and done with (well, tomorrow) so that's always good. It's such a 'blah' month. I've got a feeling February is going to fly as well, with our half term break right in the middle of it.

It's funny how different I feel about the whole London vs. Toronto debate now compared to a year ago. At this time last year, I was trying to figure out if I'd be interested in a second year overseas and felt torn because I really missed people/things at home, but was worried that one year away wouldn't be enough. I didn't want to end it, and then regret it once back in Toronto. This year, things are much more for sure in my mind. I know that I love London, but I know in my heart there is no way I could live here permanently. Which I guess makes it that much easier to say, "Yup, it's been great, but time's up." and carry on. Having said that, it's going to be really sad to leave and I'm going to miss loads that I've gotten used to here, and will most likely be crying on the plane at Heathrow at the end of August.

I suppose I'll have to come up with a clever, new blog title once back home. If I continue blogging that is. Suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment