Saturday 23 January 2010

Gym Snob

Never thought I'd be one, but am now, most definitely a gym snob.

This past week I joined the Virgin Active Gym near school. A teacher friend at school is always going on about how amazing it is, and the great classes and whatever else. Having cancelled my Fitness First membership (I never went, it's small, always had to wait for a machine, no classes I was able to attend), I decided to take a tour of this Virgin place to see what my friend is always going on about.

Well, so say the least, it's an amazing place. Brand new cardio machines, an extensive group exercise schedule, stunning pool that overlooks the Thames, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, spa - the works basically. There is a cafe area where you can check your email and grab a coffee, Molton Brown lotion and soaps in the change rooms and everything is generally really nice and beautiful and makes you want to be there.

It's definitely out of my price range, but I feel like it's worth it, and I deserve it. Location is ideal and since taking the tour on Wednesday, I've been twice. Might as well pay more for a place I'm happy to go to, and will spend time at.

Spanish went well this week - we learned the days of the week, months of the year, and did some grammar stuff. I'm definitely considering spending some time in Spain to put my (very limited) vocabulary into use. Barcelona? Madrid?

London has been exceptionally grey as of late. Since I've been back, there has been one sunny day. One. Last Sunday to be exact. Otherwise, it's quite grey and dull all the time. When living in Ontario, I always said I preferred a bright, blue skied -20 degree day to milder grey days. This holds true today. On the bright side, the days are ever so slowly getting longer. The sun does not rise and set while I'm in my classroom anymore, so that's a bonus.

This coming week is the last full week of January - yay! Always the toughest month of the year to get through, especially so for me last year. This year, definitely not as bad at all. I was able to get my sleeping on track almost immediately (take that jet lag!) and was coming back to a more familiar place compared to last year (had only been in my flat for a couple of weeks before Christmas last year).

Am particularly excited that this has been a super fast 6 week term, and we've only got 3 to go before half term in February. I'm going calm my travel bug this break, and hang around London and be a normal person and relax a bit. It will be good to save money for upcoming trips, see some more of London (the list of stuff I haven't yet seen here is long and embarrassing) and actually take a break.

As for the rest of the weekend, I hope to finnish the hat I've started knitting (first 'real' project to date - so far so good!), spend some time in the local pub, and of course, continue to increase my feelings of 'gym superiority'.

1 comment:

  1. I love a good gym in London! It does make all the difference and yes, you are worth it!

    Do you mind telling us the prices you paid for each gym? I think it's higher than when I went, and people always ask me about these kinds of things. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete