Wednesday 17 February 2010

The More Things Change...

...the more they actually change.

Had a bit of a moment of clarity on the bus home last week. Was feeling a bit homesick for my friends, and looking forward to being home and getting to re-connect with them and 'go back to the way things used to be'. Then I really started thinking about it, and I'm not sure I have all that in common with my friends at home anymore.

Reason #1: They are all in pretty serious relationships, if not married. I am, and have been, perpetually single. And with the way things are going right now, may always be.

Reason #2: They all own houses. I am 'homeless' (my choice, as I will be traveling) as of the end of July and am not sure when/how I'll find an appropriate place to live in Toronto.

Reason #3: A bunch of them have/will have kids in the next little bit. For reasons #1 and #2, I'm no where near pro-creation.

I know these aren't major things, and friendships aren't determined/based on that kind of stuff, but it is going to be a bit tricky re-adjusting. I think it was a bit silly of me to assume that after two years, I could just return and everything would be frozen in time as I had left it. It gets a bit tricky for me when I realize that they've all changed and I've changed, but their changes have all happened together, and the changes I've made/gone though have been with/because of my new-international-traveling-living in a different part of the world-friends.

All of my friends back home are amazing, supportive and fantastic in ever sense, and I do look forward to being in a place where I can just stop by and hang out with people that I've already got a history with (in some cases, a crazy long history that goes back to primary school!) and just kind of 'be'.

The Olympics have started, and being 8hrs ahead has never felt more out of place. It's always been tricky to figure out a good time to call my sister living in Vancouver, because of this time difference, and our schedules. It's also tricky to watch Olympic stuff happen live, as it all occurs from 11pm through to 5/6am London time. It's fine right now because I'm on half term and can stay up a bit later than usual, but next week is going to be hard. Would feel really out of the loop if something happened to my internet connection/computer.

I did stay up late the other night to watch the women's hockey team play (and beat) Switzerland, and had a realization that the sports commentators for BBC really don't know how to call a hockey game. There were no 'HOLY MACANAW'S!' happening. At all. I will definitely need to find some North American/Canadian coverage for the medal rounds. Which is something I will definitely stay up late and watch live. Fatigue the next day is a small price to pay.

Go Canada Go!

2 comments:

  1. Can you get streaming TV off ctvolympics.com? I know my American friends are watching that way, but I'm not sure about Britain (as I'm visiting Canada at the moment).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you're talking about Heather!

    Sounds to me like you might need some good ol' hockey action with the other Canadians in London at the Albion. I wonder if the Maple Leaf will be open late to accommodate the games?

    Don't fret too much about next week - as my friend Jay says, "You'll sleep when you're dead!"

    ReplyDelete