Sunday 21 June 2009

An Eye Opening Week

This past week was the first week that the Year 4 teacher had off for maternity leave. It was also the week that the teacher taking over the class for the rest of the year was away with the Year 6 class on a week long camping trip. This meant that I was covering Year 4 all week long. 

I wasn't really worried about covering the class for the week. They're a good group a kids, and there aren't any serious behaviour issues. The teacher they've had all year has some great systems and routines in place so it was easy to pick up where she left off.  The medium term plans were completed by the teacher who will be in there for the rest of the term, so I only had to worry about getting the weekly plan done, and sticking to what had been laid out.

It was great to be in the same place, every day for the week. As a PPA teacher, I'm all over the school, every day so it was a great change to be able to put my stuff down, and not have to lug it at lunchtime to the class I'd be covering in the afternoon. It was also really nice to be with the same group of kids for a week and getting to know them a bit better.  I also liked that when I came across an extra 15 mins here or there, I knew of some other, relevant work they could use the time to complete, instead of getting them to do quiet reading, or extend what they had been working on like I would do if I was in there for PPA coverage.

I did have a few panic attacks throughout the week though. One being that next year, I'm responsible for everything that happens in my class - behaviour management, displays, assessments, the topics we cover, how the room is set up, general class routines, planning, field trips, assemblies etc. Another reason I had a bit of panic attack was that I'm also responsible for my students learning what they need to know and progressing up through the levels. This may sound stupid, but right now when I'm in a class, my concern is that the behaviour is where it should be, and that I have gotten through what the class teacher has left. If I'm marking the books, and I see that a few kids aren't totally grasping changing percentages into decimals, I'll leave a note for the teacher and that's that. I'm not the one responsible for re-teaching, or differentiating the work or changing what ability grouping they're placed in. 

Yet another minor freak out surrounded whether I'd be physically/mentally able to take it. At the end of everyday this past week, I was exhausted. When looking at the plans on Wednesday morning for the day and then the rest of the week, I definitely thought - 'How the hell to people do this day after day, and week after week?' And it's not that I'm not tired after covering someone else's class, but there is a bit of a detachment there. Once the books are marked (if even necessary) I'm out the door. I'm not prepping the lessons for the next day, making sure that the reading books are changed, checking over the class list to make sure everyone has their permission letters in or looking for a good maths lesson started on 'espresso'.

Although there are many things that I found myself to be really excited about for next year as well. How I'm going to re-arrange the classroom to make it an exciting and inviting place, the different displays that I'll be in charge of putting up, picking some amazing topics that my students are interested in, and taking pictures of my students throughout the year doing their best. Having behaviour management systems in place that will help my students be motivated to learn and respectful towards their classmates and other students. Helping them to become independent learners and problem solvers.

These are all fantastically lofty and 'dream world' type goals for next year, and I'm sure that not all of them will be achieved, but I don't think it hurts to be optimistic and excited for the opportunity to achieve some of these things. I'm also a realist, and know that when push comes to shove, there will be some days when my lessons are a total bust, and times when my Year 4 students are not motivated in the least to act in a respectful way towards others.

I'm just planning on taking it one day/task at a time, do my best, and hope for a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment