Thursday 30 April 2009

Time flies when you're having fun

Every time I've had to write the date recently, I shake my head a little bit. How can April be over? I feel like this month barely got started, and now it's over. I think a lot of that has had to do with the extended Easter Break (2 weeks!) that happens in London schools. Even with that break accounted for though, I don't feel as though it's time for May yet.

This super fast passing of time is different to how I perceived the time to pass in January/February. During those short, grey, wet days and long, dark nights, I felt as though every day lasted about a day and a half. Now that the days are longer and brighter, and the temperature has gone up a bit, I feel like each day lasts about half a day. It's also quite crazy to me that I'm going to be back home in Ontario for a visit in just over 2 months. Even crazier is that I've been here for 8 months now. At times it feels like I just got here and am still figuring things out, and other times living in Toronto feels like an entire lifetime ago.

One thing that has been interesting is experiencing spring in a different climate. Winter weather wasn't that far off the mark, just more rain instead of snow. The warmer winter temperatures were a welcome change. Short days (very short!) and long nights, similar to Ontario. Spring, however, has been a little bit different. In Ontario, I  would spend a good deal of time paying attention to weather reports - being excited as the temperature slowly creeps up, and depressed when surprise spring snow storm hit.  Always watching for the snow banks to melt and disappear, and the trees/grass getting greener as well. Here though, since the temperature is much more moderate, it hasn't been such an extreme change. The trees have been a little bit green with buds for a while, and then about a week and a half ago I was walking down my street when I realized that leaves were out in their entirety. 

I feel like the rest of this school year is going to fly by as well. My sister is coming for a nice long visit from mid May to the beginning of June. We've got another (yes, another!) half term break at the end of May, and I'm going to spend a bit of it in Ibiza.  There is some talk of my parental units coming over in June as well. No slam dunk plans from them yet though.  School life is going to be kicked up a notch as well - Year 6 SATS tests, Sports Day, School BBQ night, Talent Show and a whole school trip to the beach in Joss Bay. Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment