Sunday 1 March 2009

One week down, five more to go

Well, it's been one week back at work since the half term break. Surprisingly the week went back quickly, which was nice. We had an inset training day (no kids at school) on Monday about building learning power, which was interesting.  The whole focus was to thinking about learning as a process and building independent learners instead of just getting work done. Some interesting points brought up about the language teachers use, and what it conveys to the students.  

I really like how the school system is set up over here, with the breaks spread out more throughout the year.  This means that I've only got 5 more weeks until the Easter Break, which is two weeks long.  Because I'm teaching at a Catholic school the two weeks are somewhat split up; our first day of the break is April 9th, and then our first day back is April 23rd.  Then it will only be 4 weeks until the half term break in May. I know the summers off school are longer at home, but I almost think they're too long.  Kids get bored with 8 weeks off and forget a lot of things taught in the previous year. 

I don't have any definite plans as of yet for that time off in April, but do have some ideas. My cousin Jeff is planning a visit over, so he will want to see all that London has to ofer, but we have talked about possibly visiting Ireland during that time as well. Details still need to be worked out.

I'm really looking forward to my long weekend in Paris, coming up at the end of the month. I'll be staying with my second cousin Erin, who is doing an exchange to wrap up her degree from Ivey (at Western).  Her apartment is very close to the Garre du Nord, which is the train station I'll be arriving at on the Eurostar. I plan on doing the free walking tour - have done one in Berlin and Amsterdam and both were great, as well as consuming baguettes with brie and red wine!

I've also got some visitors from home coming over in March as well, which is exciting.  My good friends Kyla and Brent are traveling to England and France with their high school's March break trip, and will be in London around March 13th. Another good friend from teachers college is coming over on her March break as well, so it will be great to connect and catch up with familiar friends. 

Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you have heaps of visitors Heather! That was my favourite part of living in London, being the tour guide and showing my family/friends around. It makes you realize that you LIVE there - amazing! Have a fabulous time.

    Have you checked out www.vfp.org yet? You might really like it - it's a great way to travel on the cheap while giving back. Perhaps there's something you'll find really interesting.

    ReplyDelete